Search

My Favorite Books Of 2018

2018 was a big reading year for me, in all I read 40+ books throughout the past twelve months and I wanted to share my favorites. You'll notice I don't read many education related books and this habit is not a new one for me. Reading and exploring outside the education genre for me really gets my brain to a new point of view and helps to bring real world ideas into my work in education!

I hope you enjoy!


American Wolf by Nate Blakeslee was an absolutely riveting story about the reintroduction of wolves into Yellowstone National Park. The science behind the project, the people, the history, the stories and yes I even cried once while reading. 



Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh is AMAZING! I seriously could not put this book down and read it in just a few days. From Tony growing up as a kid, to attending Harvard, starting his first company in his early 20s and selling it to Microsoft for a few hundred million dollars, and then joining Zappos super early on as an investor and then CEO. Superb story, awesome lessons, and a book everyone should read!



Educated by Tara Westover has been on so many 'top books to read' lately and it does not disappoint. You'll be shocked, inspired and won't be able to put this book down, highly recommended!



Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin is riveting! I've recommended this book to hundreds of people of the last year and I've actually gone back to read it again which is something I never do. Two former Navy Seals talk about their combat experience and then how it relates to doing work in business, but the lessons are applicable to pretty much anyone in any sector. They have new book out called The Dichotomy of Leadership which is a really great read too!



Forward by Abby Wambach is a book I almost passed on and I'm so glad I decided otherwise. Open, honest, real and a page turner for sure!



Girl Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis - if you haven't read it, you need to. I read it, gave it to my wife, gave it to a friend, and then mailed it to a friend across the country. Super funny and SO many life lessons! There is a sequel coming out soon too!



Living With the Monks by Jesse Itzler turned out to be way different than I thought it would be. His first book Living With a Seal was beyond awesome, and this has a completely different tone and really made me think. I usually never highlight or put post it notes on a book, but for this one I did! Lots of takeaways, check it out!



North by Scott Jurek is his third or fourth book and this one has a different tone than all the others. I pre-ordered it way ahead of time, it arrived, and as I was flying from San Francisco to Boston to run the marathon this year, I read the entire book cover to cover. Couldn't put it down! 



Swell by Liz Clark was such a deep book on so many levels. As a woman in her 20s she wanted to explore. She bought a used sailboat, spent years fixing it up, and then sailed all over the world. Her stories and experiences are breathtaking to say the least. 



The Third Door by Alex Banayan - I read this book once, and loved it. Then I read it two more times, which I never do. Of all the books in this blog post, this one has made me think the most about my life. That's all I need to say, read this book!



Thirst by Scott Harrison was in my cart for a few months and thankfully I finally ordered it. Couldn't put this one down and I even shed a few tears while reading. This guy has a story and you need to read it!


No comments

Post a Comment